Saturday, May 1, 2010

Day 2: Resolute Bay

Today is the second day of my trip.  Yesterday I left Edmonton and went to Yellowknife, NWT.  Took a nice walk to the old part of town and met up with most of the group (all minus Christian Haas (my supervisor) who was already in Resolute Bay).

Then this morning at 3:30am I woke up and went to the airport to catch a 5am charter flight to Resolute Bay, NU.  The charter is managed by the Canadian Polar Continental Shelf Program.  The program is responsible for logistics support of scientific research in the Canadian arctic.  In Resolute , they have a large hanger and warehouse, as well as accommodations (which are much like a hostel).  The food is always amazing, and the people are friendly, plus you meet up with many other science groups.


This afternoon we will likely just go out for a walk and go to the actual village of Resolute Bay, NU.

Shot showing the B737 charter we took from Yellowknife to Resolute.  
Yes that is a big pile of snow in the background.


Otherwise it is a bit of a shock to come here.  Edmonton is getting greener every day and Yellowknife was about +10c, where as here there is a lot of snow and it is -15C but feels like -24C with the windchill. But then I like the snow, and the cold.

Polar bear in the Yellowknife airport.


Later today I'll likely post a couple pictures of the town of Resolute Bay, NU. 
I hope you all are doing well and I'll write again soon.

If you have requests for information or so forth, feel free to comment below the post or to send me an e-mail. As I'm very new to blogging, I can definitely use the feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate