Friday, May 7, 2010

Sun, Snow and Ice = Fun

So for the past two days we have had pretty good weather.  Mostly sunny, warm.  This means we've been out on the ice collecting data. Yesterday we used the helicopter to get a bit farther from the base and onto a multiyear ice floe (ice that has survived at least a couple summers of melting).  Today we went out with skidoos and had a lot of fun navigating the rough ice, plus lots of data.
Saw a wolf on May 5.  Thanks to Melissa Peters for the photograph, as I didn't have my camera (foolish).

One thing here is that the sun does not set, it is as bright at 2am as it is at noon, I can attest. We have been working from 8am each day returning at 8 or 9pm.  Luckily they save us some supper. Then each night we try to enter in our data from our notebooks and instruments.

People are friendly and the food is great. I wish I was getting more done, but we are busy with work.  Once we have a weather day (bad weather) then I will get some other work done.

Well that is it for now. No pictures as the connection is too slow.

Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate