Sunday, September 19, 2010

26, day 1

Well, It is Sunday, Sept 19th.

Last night we had a cruise dinner on the ship with everyone and then went into town.  We had unloaded the boat in the afternoon and so we went into Longyear and went to the pub, then another pub, and finally to bed.  It was a lot of fun, and special in the sense that it isn't every year I have a birthday with people I have only met 5 weeks ago.That said, I did miss Nicole and Jax alot, and my family too.  Hopefully I'll get to see most of you soon, and then see many of my friends as well.

Today I am in sitting in a cafe in Longyearbyen, having breakfast (well lunch) and using the wireless internet to catch up on emails.  Looks like I have some work to do tonight, maybe, but that is okay too.

On the whole I am really happy with the whole cruise experience.  I hope that I have collected some useful data, and that it helps my recognition/publications record which is lacking right now.
I also have met some great scientists, both early career and well established. I have learned a lot and am motivated to finish my master's thesis and I think start a PhD. While not every day of the cruise seemed great while on the cruise, looking back it was very good.

Well the rest of the plan for the next few days is to do some work, but also to relax before going back to the real world.  Longyear is a beautiful place with a stunning view.  I leave here on Tuesday afternoon and end up in Oslo Tuesday night.  On Wednesday I fly back to Edmonton and to my beautiful, loving, wonderful wife.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear that the trip as a whole was enjoyable. Glad it all worked out well.

    ReplyDelete

Translate