Thursday, September 16, 2010

Update

Hey All, sorry for the lack of posts lately, been busy.

Well we are finished with sea ice work as of yesterday morning. We had a
final station that went really fast and then spent time cleaning and packing
most things up, including the EM bird. That evening we were completely out
of the ice and in to a bit of storm with rough seas. Needless to say I took
some sea sickness pills. It was interesting trying to fall asleep. The
front of the boat moves up and down enough that you gravity changes (ie you
feel heavy with the boat is lifting and very light when the boat drops down
the wave). Kinda cool but also makes me sick.

Today I have spent the majority of the day sleeping and trying not to be
sick. The oceanographers are hard at work doing CTD measurements every
degree and soon every half degree. Yesterday I found a styrofoam (or
polystyrol) cup (THANKS SEBASTIAN!!!) and had decorated it and had the
oceanographers send it down for me. It went to 2490m depth, pretty freaking
cool.

Well other than that just trying to finish up some figures regarding the
Cryosat flights we've made.

I hope you are all doing well. I return to Longyearbyen either Saturday or
Sunday night (is a bit unclear right now), but then I should have some
regular email access.

Cheers

Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate